Neoprene quality makes all the difference
Neoprene is not made equal and every neoprene has its strengths and weaknesses.
Here at Elios, we have a range of more than 200 options of neoprene to find the perfect option for your needs. Whether your first priority is about glide, warmth or durability – we will be able to find the perfect combination of neoprene finishings for you.
Our prices range from AU$245 to AU$645 depending on:
(1) Neoprene – brand and finishings
(2) Thickness – 1.5 mm to 9 mm
We only stock neoprene that we believe meets our exacting requirements for durability and comfort.
For competitive freedivers and those who desire the best, we strongly recommend high-end premium Japanese neoprene:
- Yamamoto – Most popular for general use due to its softness and elasticity
- NJN – Ideal for deep diving, as it resists compression and remains warm at depth
For those on a budget, we also stock excellent quality regular-grade Taiwanese neoprene.
Depending on the neoprene you choose, colours can be:
- Block – Solid fabrics or metallic smoothskins for general use.
- Camouflage – For spearfishing
Neoprene is synthetic foamed rubber that retains warmth by trapping a thin layer of water next to the skin. The thinner and more trapped the water, the better the warmth.
- Traditional linings – Most durable, good slip, not as warm
- Open cell – Very warm as traps water best, but will stick your skin and require soapy water to get into
- Gold-coated or titanium-coated open cell – Very warm, similar to open-cell, metal coating provides better slip and reflects heat, easier to get into than open cell
- Thermo-plush – for very cold water, thermo-plush is a soft, durable lining that retains a thin layer of water better than traditional linings
- Traditional linings – From traditional nylon to lycra, confers durability but has significant drag in the water, dries more slowly on the surface
- Smoothskins – From 1st, 2nd to 3rd generation smoothskins, specialised smoothskins for freediving with maximum glide, will be fragile if combined with open cell
- Other outer finishings – mesh skin, hydrorepellent options for spearfishing